Friday, December 27, 2013

My top 5 albums of 2013

It's that time of year again where I have to think about my favourite albums of the year. For me it's been a good year for music and I feel like I have not given enough attention to a lot of good stuff. Could have put together a top 20 there was so many great album but I'm going to stick to five because that's how I usually do it and that's an easy amount for others to check out if you're interested in giving any you don't know a listen.

5. Yo La Tengo - Fade

Sorry Arcade Fire, this was kind of close but I like this album more. This album doesn't really have any of the great Yo La Tengo rock-outs that I love but every track is good or great and a good listen all the way through.



4. The Polyphonic Spree - Yes, It's True

A huge improvement on their last album. Great that they still haven't lost it.


3. Noah and the Whale - Heart Of Nowhere

Very easy album to listen to, catchy and fun and enticing. Feels so familiar even after just a listen or two. Always a good option to put on when you don't know what you feel like listening to.



2. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

I don't mind Daft Punk occasionally but I never thought I'd put them in one of these lists. It was hard to miss the hype of the launch of this album and 'Get Lucky' was just so catchy and played a lot that it was hard not to love. I gave the album a listen on Spotify thinking maybe it would be ok. I was surprised to discover that it was a lot more than 'OK', it was 'Great', and my second favourite album of the year.


1. Neko Case - The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You

As soon as I heard this I knew it was my favourite of the year. I like Neko Case's earlier albums but this one I immediately loved more than any of the others. A great album from start to end.


Special mention to Sonny and the Sunsets, whose album release this year I still haven't got around to giving a good listen and if their last album 'Longtime Companion' was released this year it would have been number one on this list. I heard it for the first time this year but it was released in 2012 so technically can't be on here. Great album though. Highly recommend it.



1 comment: